Whether you are an average or a beginner or an expert woodworker, one tool without which your woodworking experience will not be complete, is a wood router. To make the work piece more spectacular, every woodworker needs this versatile tool. Beforehand, the tool was available as a hand powered tool, but as time flows, it reappears with more power and potential. Now, it’s no longer a hand powered tool, instead it’s a complete electronic tool with immense capacity.
It may not be compulsory for the woodworkers having a wood router in their workshop or collection. But, the series of benefits that a wood router offers is really difficult for them to resist. Creating complicated decorative designs, molding, door panel, grooves or different shape edges get really easier when a router is in your hand. Undoubtedly, this tool can work like magic in the realm of woodworking projects.
Certainly, a wood router is a tool of grave potential which is destined to perform various functions with ease and comfort. Though it has immense potential but it is equally difficult to handle. A router usually consists of a motor, a flat base and very importantly a cutter with sharp blades. Improper handling of this tool may be dangerous. Following a few safety rules is a must while you are dealing with this super-fast monster.
- Safety first: It really does not matter how busy you are or how many years of experience you have in handling the wood router. It’s the safety first that actually counts. While working with a router, it’s our hands that remain closely in contact with the tool and even at risk. A little careless attitude can be fatal, especially for our hands. Therefore, while engaging with the router, full concentration should be on the tool for avoiding accidents.
- Wear safety guards: Not only the hands are at risk, while working with the router. Equal protection should be given to the ears and eyes too. Wood routers generally produce high-resonance sound that even persists even after the router is off. So, don’t forget to wear the ear plugs. For giving protection from the dust particles wearing the goggles is necessary to save the eyes too. If your router does not contain dust collector, wearing mask is also advisable.
- Appropriate clothing: While working in the workshop with the router, always avoid wearing loose- fitting garments, such as ties, full sleeve clothes, etc. that can be entangled with the cutter of the router and create a mess. Always go with the clothes that fit the situation and can save the body from any wayward pieces of the wood that can come out while the cutter cutting the woods. Extra care should be taken in wearing hanging jewellery on the neck and bangles as they can be easily drawn by the cutter.
- Feed direction: Checking the feed direction of the router while working is not only necessary, but compulsory. Feed direction of the router should always be opposite to the direction of the cutter. If the cutter rotates clockwise, the feeding direction should be the opposite.
- Check the router: Check the router thoroughly each time you are approaching to start the machine. Check the settings repeatedly without any hurry for avoiding any accidents.
- Check the route bits: Check the router bits before using. Only if the bits are in right condition then it should be approved for further use. Please ensure that the bits are held firmly in the collet. If the holding is not firm enough, it may end up leaving the collet with great force along with causing accidents. On the other hand, if it’s too tight, smooth cutting will not be possible.
- Environment is important: The best wood router is the one that solely dedicated to accomplishing your job. But, proper maintenance is needed to make your working experience stress free and safe. Don’t operate the electronic routers in wet and dump environment for avoiding accidents.
- Clean the working area: Your working area should always keep clean for avoiding accidents. Hazard free working space is more secure than the one with various obstacles. Don’t keep anything in the way of the router. It actually reduces the chances of accidents.
- Avoid intoxicated items: Though it’s not harm for the professionals to crack open a can of beer while working, but it will be highly advisable not to. A power tool like wood routers need to handle carefully. Continuous supervision is needed to make it work securely Having drugs or alcohols will increase the chances of accidents, as we are unable to pay full attention while having these items.
Certainly, wood router is a true friend of a woodworker, but it demands careful supervision. Unless, this useful can turn into a nightmare. One thing should always consider that its you above anything else that matters. Your safety is the prime requirement. Keep your visitors away from the routers. Always store the router in a safe place that is beyond the children’s reach. Have a safe and pleasant routing experience.